Homemade Peeps that are better than store
1 tablespoon cocoa powder or chocolate chipsPiping bag with 1/2 inch round tip (Don’t have a 1/2 inch tip? The coupler base works just fine.)1. Place 2 cups of the granulated sugar in a large, gallon size zip top bag. Add a few drops of yellow food color michael kors outlet ing to the sugar. Massage the coloring and sugar together with your hands through the plastic bag, adding more color if necessary to achieve the desired hue. It will take a few minutes to fully distribute the color, so be patient and thorough. Sift the sugar once it is the color you want so that any remaining clumps of color can be removed.
2. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. Generously spread a layer of colored sugar on the foil.
3. Place the gelatin and 5 tablespoons of the water in a small bowl and stir. Allow the gelatin to sit for several minutes. (There will be lumps of gelatin at this point, that’s OK.)
4. Combine the remaining 1 cup of plain granulated sugar and 4 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan. Insert a candy thermometer, bring to a boil over medium heat and cook to soft ball stage (235 degrees F.).
5. Once it reaches the correct temperature, remove the pan from the heat and add in the gelatin mixture. Stir with a whisk or a spatula until it is thoroughly combined and no michael kors outlet gelatin lumps remain.
6. Pour the hot gelatin syrup in the bowl of an electric mixer. Allow it to cool until it is barely warm to the touch.
7. Once the gelatin is just warm, begin to beat it with a whisk attachment. Start on medium speed, and once the mixture is no longer clear but has turned white and opaque, add the vanilla (or other flavoring) and turn the mixer to high speed.
8. Beat for 10 minutes, until the candy is stiff, glossy and white. Add in a few drops of liquid yellow food coloring and beat until well distributed.
9. Immediately place the candy in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch round tip (or a coupler base without a tip). Pipe the chicks onto the baking sheet covered with colored sugar. To pipe the chicks, begin with the body: hold the bag an inch above the surface at a 90 de michael kors outlet gree angle. Squeeze the marshmallow out, allowing it to form a 1 inch round before beginning to pull back towards you. Taper as you move backward, forming a 3 inch body. Release pressure and pull the bag upward to form the “tail.”
michael kors outlet
10. Next, form the chick head by again placing the bag at a 90 degree angle. Pipe on top of your body segment, and move the bag back toward the tail. Once you have reached the middle of the body, reverse directions and move the bag back toward the front of the chick’s body. Simultaneously release pressure on the bag so that the marshmallow stops flowing and tapers off into a “beak” shape. Now is a great time to refer to the marshmallow chicks photo tutorial to help you out! Depending on the size of your chicks, you should get about 18 20 marshmallow chicks from this recipe.
11. While the marshmallow is still wet, sprinkle the chicks all over with the remaining colored sugar.
12. Mix the cocoa powder with a few drops of water to form a thick paste, or melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Use a small paintbrush or a toothpick to dot the chocolate on the chicks to form eyes. (Work carefully, the chocolate easily bleeds and spreads into the sugar.)
13. Let the marshmallow chicks sit out at room temperature for 4 6 hours to set the marshmallow before enjoying them. Store them at room temperature in an airtight container, and for best texture, enjoying within 2 3 days.